Thursday, October 29, 2009

SSTC- DIGITAL VIDEO DAY, Week 9















Today in class we...


Today in class we
made movies and wrote stories about the Play She Stoops to Conquer. My group choose to do a play on the love stories in the play. It was, we liked to say, a new love blooming, with an old one destroyed, there is a little bit of aggression and some betrayal. I thought that this class was so much fun. My group got right down to business. I feel like when we all first were told the task we where dreading it. Who wants to see themselves on video and hear their voice? Well I don't think anyone does. I know that I definitely do not enjoy this. When we got started, began thinking and taping it turned out to be a lot of fun. I have never worked with a Mac before but we did what we could and I believe we were all really happy with our results. I was impressed by the fact that we all worked really well as a group. There wasn't anyone that didn't do their part to contribute to the project. We were all really excited about the end result.

I wonder...


Well this question could mean so many things considering I wonder so many things lately. I feel as if my head is just full of questions that I don't know will ever be answered. I am sure we are talking about class here though and when it comes to this I wonder sometimes how everything we do connects with one another. I feel as if in your head you do have some master plan and I would just love to know what it is, but I am sure one day I will figure it out.
Also I wonder about this She Stoops to Conquer project that we are doing. How are the students going to be presented with our work? Are they just going to be given a link to go onto to see our work, or is it going to be presented to them in a more formal setting.

I noticed...


I noticed that for one it seemed as if no one wanted to come to class today. It was the day for everyone to skip. Also I noticed today that the more we give to you the more we get in return. By this I mean that the harder we work with what you give us the more reward we receive in the end.
I noticed that it seemed as if everyone was less stressed and relaxed and just worked at the given task. I was surprised because it seemed that it would be something that everyone would freak out about but everyone seemed to have fun with it and just go with the flow.

Next Class I'm looking forward to...


Next class I am looking forward to having the visitors from Opportunities Unlimited. It seems like it will be something that I can really learn from. I have had some small relationships with adults of this nature but I am interested to learn more. I feel as if it can be a wonderful learning experience.

I am also not sure if this is going to happen but I would really love it if we could see everyone's movies.

Have you ever spent time with an adult with a cognitive or developmental disability? If yes, describe and explain.

I have spent small amounts of time with an adult who has Down's syndrome. I found it to be very heart warming. This is one of my mom's very good friend's nieces. She is in her mid twenties. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. All she wants to do is love and be loved in return. She is very hands on, constantly wants hugs and to be in the middle of everything. From what I have heard though she is becoming a hand full for her parents to take care of and as much as they love and care for her they are not sure how much longer she can be in their twenty four hour care.

Chapter ten of the text talks about students who are deaf or hard of hearing (Kirk, Gallagher, Coleman, & Anastasiow, 2009). Within the movies that we made we used a lot of music rather than words at all. A form of differentiated instruction that could have been used in our movie could have been subtitles so that the student could read what was being sung or said. Also we could have made the movies more visible rather than relying on music and things of this nature. Also often time's children with hearing loss need the voice to be louder they are not completely deaf they only need an amplified version. Maybe they could use earphone that are louder to listen to the music or the movie.


Opportunities Unlimited, Niagara County
CAST- Universal Design for Learning- this website talks about universal design for learning it describes the fact that teaching students is not a one size fits all approach. Teaching in a classroom needs to meet all students needs. Teachers need to teach to the top and the bottom. CAST gives a blueprint of how this can be done. Students are not all alike so they can not all be taught in the same manner.
Iris Modules- This is a organization that makes materials and trains professionals to help them work in inclusive settings with individuals who have learning disabilities. They have materials that have reach students at all different levels. This is another way of trying to get all levels of learners to learn in the same classroom.

Kirk S. , Gallagher J.J. , Coleman M.R. , & Anastasiow N. (2009). Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed. , pp. 322-361). Boston, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company.

2 comments:

  1. Great reflections. I hear your authentic stance toward learning and becoming a teacher.
    Check for spelling and grammar.
    Yes, I wonder often as well.
    I'm glad you explained what you wonder about, and how this time in your life is full of more questions than answers. FEAR NOT! this is a good thing. It will keep you going.

    ReplyDelete